ThinLine Flexible Slow Feed Grazing Muzzle (with adjustable hole size!)
This Flexibly Filly grazing horse muzzle is unlike the typical heavy, hard, and “cage-like” apparatus of the past. We listened to horse owners just like you and designed this to be softer, lighter and less confining. Constructed of a durable and pliable material that radically improves comfort, it is also soft on equine teeth and lips. The Flexible Filly Muzzle is well-ventilated and safe, rated to break just before your turnout halter.
Benefits to start with …
- This muzzle is gentle on skin, teeth, and lips. Softer, lighter, and safer.
- Has UV protection for delicate noses.
- Adjustable hole size to meet the grazing needs of all horses
- Incredibly flexible and very lightweight. Horses no longer bother wearing one!
- Durable material
What size to pick the grazing muzzle?
A very easy answer on this! You can choose the same size as you have your halter. So if you have a pony Halter, you choose the pony Muzzle. Easy peasy!
Grazing hole sizes
Veterinarian recommendations for safe grazing in a muzzle are a 3.5 to 4 cm grazing hole for 24/7, full time grazing.
And 2 to 2.5 cm for restricted grazing, often required for horses with metabolic issues.
The industry standard is 3cm and grazing holes are not adjustable.
Now it is easy to work with your veterinarian and ensure horses are safely turned out to graze on any pasture.
The 2cm hole of the Flexible Filly Muzzle may be enlarged to meet any grazing need. All you need, a pair of scissors.
What will you need?
We recommend you commit a dedicated well-fitting breakaway turnout halter to your muzzle. It generally takes about 10 minutes to get everything perfect the first time you install a Flexible Filly Muzzle. Subsequent halters will take about 3 minutes.
Our special made breakaway halter you can find here: ThinLine Flexible Breakaway Halter
How to attach your Flexible Filly Grazing Muzzle?
Have a look at this short 5 step video, and you’ll get it in a blink!
- Use the enclosed paper ties or a string to discover the best holes to secure your muzzle to your halter. The paper ties are a temporary tool allowing you to easily adjust the fit.
- Two of the “fins” have a triangle cut out. These attach to the square (side) rings on your turnout halter. Three fins will connect to the noseband, one in the centre, the other two fall naturally to the sides of the centre. Three fins will connect to the chin band; one in the centre, two naturally to the sides of the centre.
- First, secure each triangle cut out fin with one of the enclosed low profile cable ties. Do not wrap the fins around the halter, doing so may cause rubs.
- When properly installed, the muzzle should be close to but not touching the nose of the horse. If the muzzle is touching the nose simply make the fins under the chin longer, this will lift the muzzle away from the nose.
- Once you are satisfied you have the correct holes aligned to the halter please remove the paper ties or string and permanently secure the muzzle with the included cable ties.
- After finding the best fit for your horse, simply trim the excess fin material just above the top hole being used. It is fine to wait a day or two to ensure your muzzle is a comfortable distance from your horse’s mouth before trimming. The “keeper” on the cable tie is on the outside of the muzzle and the excess is facing down and trimmed close.
If you have fitted the muzzle properly and the muzzle is the correct size it will work famously. If you find there is too much grazing room be sure your fins are snugly secured to your halter. The fins should not move along the noseband. If it does simply pull the cable tie tighter.
- First, you can place the grazing muzzle in a net washing bag and wash on cold water with detergent and a teaspoon of bleach.
- Second, more extended clean, stick it in a bucket with dish soap and a cap full of bleach.
The grazing muzzle is made from one of the most durable polymers on the planet. It is fungal, mould and UV resistant. It is safe, effective and durable. There are no “off-gassing” materials so they are safe near the nostrils. Even if accidentally ingested the polymers pass USA food safety regulations. The muzzle is ideal for slowing down speedy eaters, limiting grazing, and can help curb minor cribbing problems. The muzzle can also keep horses from chewing on leg wraps, wood, or blankets. It works extremely well with all automatic waterers and has UV protection which works much like sunscreen for those delicate noses.
Returns and Warranty Information?
Flexible Filly Grazing Muzzles come with a full 6-month product replacement warranty. Please follow these directions to qualify for a 30-day product satisfaction refund.
Before you return, please email 2 photos of your horse wearing the muzzle. One grazing and one not grazing. Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org. This way we can make sure it is fitting properly and offer guidance if needed.
**It is our experience this muzzle works on every horse when owners have the correct size and it is fitted properly and secured. We are here to help you become accustomed to this new patented design**
The Flexible Filly Muzzle will not cause rub marks and is gentle on equine lips and teeth. We understand the halter you choose may rub so we designed a set of halter wraps (sold separately) made of our anti-fungal, no rub ThinLine material as well a cable tie covers. Horse Grazing Muzzle, halter Wraps, breakaway halter pictured below. Click on images to go-to products.